When the getting started your treatment using CPAP sleep apnea, you will find that there are literally dozens of machines from which you can choose. Fortunately, the most difficult decision is made by your doctor and provided in your order. It is important that you understand what your doctor has selected for you and why. First check your order and pay attention to the instructions of each type below:
CPAP. First the acronym: CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. In your base CPAP machine, air circulates in a continuous and constant pressure while it is in operation. These are the original consumer machines for the treatment of sleep apnea and continue to be the most prescribed by doctors, probably because of their simplicity and their professional experience shown. These types of CPAP machines differ from the others in that the setting of the pressure is held constant. Other machines have pressure settings that vary in the range prescribed by your doctor. As a result, type PPC machines are simple, reliable, and predictable in their effectiveness. However, at higher pressures the constant pressure can be overwhelming when you exhale.
Auto CPAP. These machines are able to adjust the delivery of pressure 'on the fly', with each breath. APAP machines are near and dear to my heart that I currently use one. Your physician programs the machine with a pressure range and the machine 'float' throughout this range continuously as you sleep. I originally had a CPAP machine - where the pressure is still at a constant value - and has not really noticed any problems with it. So, I was skeptical and thought the APAP has been a little gadget when my doctor suggested. However, I was impressed by its performance and usefulness since I started to use it - the variable pressure helps me sleep better in getting me through the sleep apnea "rough patches. The release of data on my device tells me my average voltage for the evening, week, and month so I can see if my pressure adjustment is still valid. Often I was able to use this feedback to automatically diagnose problems such as sleep a bad night, a mask that is leaking, or when I've been switched off voltage cleaning the unit and the mask (mask made poorer when regular cleaning happens - I know...) I can just hear my doctor roll its eyes!). I am currently using a PR system One REMStar 60 series Auto CPAP Machine with a heated humidifier. This machine is extremely popular at the moment because it can be used as an APAP or a more traditional CPAP. Your order can also refer to this type of machine as APAP, Auto (automatic adjustment) Positive Airway Pressure, AutoPAP, AutoSet and Auto adjusting CPAP.
BiPAP. Also described as VPAP and BiLevel machines, these differ from PPC and APAP machines because they have a pressure higher setting for inspiration and a low pressure for expiration. This variation of the CPAP is generally prescribed as a non-invasive ventilation device and is often prescribed for respiratory disorders more complicated treatment of sleep. These units - usually prescribed as BiPAP SV, ST BiPAP and BiPAP AVAPS - more detailed algorithms to meet patients respiratory cycles. Your doctor may have you try a BiPAP when response to CPAP and APAP was less successful.
When you get your prescription, you will now be aware of whatever it is they recommend. Try the prescribed machine, but just be aware and responsible, knowing that other options exist for you if you have difficulties to acclimatize to the treatment of sleep apnea.
No comments:
Post a Comment